Exchange Permission

After you have been accepted for an Exchange:
Step 1 Visit the website of your host university to find courses of interest.
Step 2 Ensure that the courses you have selected fulfill your degree requirements. You can try the degree planning tool or use a program checklist.  (Note: essay requirements must be completed at Western)
Step 3 Print or provide website links of the course descriptions as you will need them when you meet with your program advisor and academic counsellor.
Step 4 Fill in the course approvals form with both the course numbers and course titles.  Press firmly – you are making three copies.  Select extra courses, just in case.
Step 5 Make an appointment with your program advisor to have your module courses equated (see below for advisors' names). Ensure that you take your course approvals form as well as the course descriptions for all courses listed.
Step 6 Submit your form to Gail Wright, Senior Counsellor in the Dean’s Office, 9438 SSC or Trish Regier in 2105 SSC, for review of your options and final approval.

Please note the following:

  • Your program advisor/academic counsellor will determine the course equivalencies for your module; however, it is your responsibility to select the courses from the host university.  Usually you will not be asked to get department approvals for electives.
  • Assumed weights for individual courses are used a guideline only. Often courses are more than or less than a full course at Western. The actual weight will be determined by the total number of courses taken. If you take the full load at the host school we will ensure that you transfer the full load at Western. Make sure you understand the requirements for a full load at the other school (see the details on the Exchange site).
  • Meet with a Student Exchange Advisor in Western International if you have questions about the exchange or the host university.
  • Obtain personal copies of your exchange transcripts in case you decide to apply to any graduate or professional programs.
  • Once your courses have been transferred, you will be able to see them on the Student Center - Academics - Transfer Credit Report.

Department Program Advisors:

Dean/Counsellor Approval:

For Info about the Kyoto Exchange, consult Huron College Exchange Office.